Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Talk About Your Own Mistakes: The Dale Carnegie Method

Commentary: This is a continuing series of posts reviewing Dale Carnegie's book 'How to Win Friends and Influence People'. This program is attractive in professional relationships due to it's time tested advice for those moving up the ladder of success. I have been introduced to Dale Carnegie training not once but twice. I attended Naval Aviation Officer Candidate School or AOCS during 1988 through which Dale Carnegie principles were first introduced to me, at least in part. Years later during 1999, I attended the Dale Carnegie school and coursework introducing me again to the Dale Carnegie method and principles.  I will be detailing only one principle a week in a shorter post in order to for you to digest the information. This series  may be reviewed at All the Principles in One Post
Talk About Your Own Mistakes
Carnegie points to the differences in people's station in life and experience. This difference affects judgment, wisdom, and actions. Those more senior in experience and life should offer the benefit of their wisdom to those junior rather than correcting and/or scolding those junior.  Carnegie suggests using your own mistakes as learning pegs. He offers some phrases that may help. For example,  "You know, I have made many mistakes in my past and you have not had the fortune of my experience. Let me share one my learning experiences with you." 
Carnegie urges people to humble themselves and praise others sincerely. Doing this can turn a haughty, insulted foe into an ally. Rightfully employed, a few humbling and praiseful sentences can work miracles in human relations. Admitting mistakes, even when uncorrected, can aide in convincing another to correct their behavior.
A maturing leader always follows this principle. 
Principle 24: Talk about your own mistakes before criticizing others

No comments:

Post a Comment